Holiday advent calendars are one of my favorite DIY activities during the holiday season! For my families advent calendars, I chose to have daily activities as the prize! I have included my list below for inspiration and you can edit how you wish for your family! Here are two that I have done and want to share with you:
Garland calendar advent calendar: This was a DIY craft I purchase on Etsy and assembled at home. I chose to attach it to garland/ribbon I had around the house and hang it from the fireplace. Each numbered advent element opens up to reveal an holiday activity to do item! This calendar does take a little more effort to determine specific days/dates you want to do things but with a little planning can be easily done.
Luck of the draw advent calendar: This is the advent calendar my family and I have done the past two years! With two little kids, sometimes it is just easier to wing it or have the option to be selective in the activity you do! Start by decorating a mason jar or bowl you have around the house with holiday decor. For ours, we cut out holiday ornaments from an old Christmas card and then put holiday stickers on it. Then on individual pieces of paper write one advent activity on each, fold them up and place them in the jar. Some activities are a little more special or require a specific date so we have put those on red pipe cleaners.
Here is our advent activity items:
- Visit Four Seasons Ginger Bread House (on pipe cleaner - date specific)
- Attend Trail of Lights (on pipe cleaner - date specific)
- Zilker Park Tree Lighting (on pipe cleaner - date specific)
- Mozart Coffee Lights
- Ice Skating at Omni Barton Creek
- Lumination at LBJ Wildflower Garden (on pipe cleaner - date specific)
- Snow Day at Hill Country Galleria (on pipe cleaner - date specific)
- Visit Santa
- Find & decorate our Christmas Tree
- Family pizza making night
- Christmas movie night with popcorn
- Family volunteering event
- Christmas song dance party
- Read Christmas book
- Family group hug under the mistletoe
- Visit local library to pick out Christmas books
- Make Christmas list and send to Santa
- Have hot chocolate with marshmallows
- Wrap Christmas gifts
- Host a holiday play-date with friends
- Make Christmas cookies
- Make a Christmas craft ~ ornament for the tree
- Make a Christmas craft ~ snowflakes
- Read Christmas book (we have this on the list twice - we love to read!)
- Christmas movie night with popcorn (we have this on the list twice - there are no shortage of classic holiday movies to watch!)
Have fun & get started! Our advent calendar starts Tuesday, December 1st!
Katie Hall, is owner & founder of WynnRuby.com, an online children's boutique based in Austin, TX.